Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Grannys poem

These two pages were probably the hardest for me to do as I painted most of them. I wanted a clothes line to hang the quilts on to go with the poem my grandmother wrote. Her birthday was in May and she loved spring so I wanted the spring blossoms. Are any of you old enough to remember the first wash machines? I sure do. I was "helping" my mother do the wash one day when I was about four years old. I was washing my dolls dress and when mother was not looking I decided to run it through the wringer but I got my hand in there and it mashed a ring on my finger. Mother could not get it off and my finger began to swell so she grabbed me up and ran to the fields where my dad was plowing. He had bolt cutters on the tractor and he cut it off. Needless to say I was not allowed around the wash machine anymore. The older I get, the more meaningful my childhood memories are to me. Can you recall some of those "Good Ole Days" ?
**************************************************************************
I just looked at this picture (up close) and it is a little blurry, hope you can make it out ok.

2 comments:

ChrisJ said...

Reminds me of a few years ago when they had to cut my wedding ring off me. It was cutting into my finger. I won't tell you how much more I weigh now than when I was married, 50 years ago, but suffice it to say that I now have a new wedding ring -- but same husband!

Shopgirl said...

What a wonderful poem, it gave me a smile and a feeling of sadness. This is so special Gail, what a great gift. Love Ya, Mary